Former Egg Donor Undergoing IVF

Total Pageviews

Monday, December 10, 2018

PPROM: Preterm premature rupture of the membranes at 28w6d

At around 6:30AM on Friday, December 7th, I started to feel a mild trickle of water in my PJs. At the time, I was lying down in bed, and cuddling with my pup, and my initial thought was, "Ive reached the incontinent stage." I noticed that it only trickled when I took a deep breath in, so didn't immediately attribute it to anything else. I laid there still for a few more minutes, but with each deep breath, I would feel that slow trickle. I got up to empty my bladder, and noticed my PJ's were soaked. I was alarmed, but still thought that it could still just be urine. I took my now wet PJ bottoms and did a load of laundry, and put on a new pair of PJ pants. I laid myself down again, and noticed the leak was not going away. 

My husband had already left for work, so I tried calling him. He didn't answer, so I called the OB nurse my insurance offered for free 24/7. The nurse started asking me ridiculous questions, like if I felt a baby's leg in my vagina, or if I was having 'shock' symptoms. When I felt like she was just asking me generic questions, I told her I knew what I had to do and hung up. I texted my husband I thought my water had broken, and he called back within a few minutes. He rushed back home to take me to the hospital. I still didn't know if I believed that my water could have broken, and I still thought there was a chance I peed.

We entered the maternity section of the hospital, and I walked in hunched over and wet PJ pants. They directed me to registration. I had already sent in my registry papers by mail, so I was irritated when they said they didn't have them. I kept stalling the registry woman I was leaking and I was in pain, but she kept asking me about my social security and insurance, as I was leaking onto her chair, *sigh*. I took a deep breath and answered all of her never ending questions about my insurance and address, She had me walk myself through the triage doors and the nurses took over. 

They immediately asked pertinent questions to my situation and the nurse got a sample of the fluid that was leaking to do a "fern" test. The "fern" test confirm is the fluid was amniotic fluid. A few minutes later, the nurse returned confirming that my water broke and that I was going to be admitted. 

They kept me on fetal monitoring while I waited for an open room. I was having regular contractions every 10 minutes, but they were not intense. They started me on magnesium which reduced the frequency of the contractions. Magnesium deserves its own blog post, but I will summarize here. IV Magnesium is like the "flu in a bottle." It made my teeth chatter from chills, and the next minute, I was burning up. My muscles were so weak (it relaxes muscles to ease contractions), I could barely move on my own. It makes you light headed and gives you terrible headaches. All in the name of saving my babies and keeping them inutero, I endured for 48 hours on Magnesium. My doctors also told me it helps with cerebral safety for the babies should they delivery early

Once admitted, they administered a steroid injection that is intramuscular. If you are at risk to deliver early, they will administer two steroid injections over the course of 48 hours to accelerate baby's lung development. 

Their primary goal was to keep them inutero until Sunday. This would give the steroid injection enough time to work its magic on the babies' lungs. I've made it until Monday afternoon, and I hope many more afternoons until they induce me at 34 weeks. The longer they stay in the better! 

I was cleared yesterday to shower, and cleared today to go outside in a wheelchair. I'm so excited for this! It's the little things I get to look forward to now. I will update later. 

No comments: