Former Egg Donor Undergoing IVF

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shots in New York*





As an egg donor, I have to undergo genetic testing. This test is important for all potential egg donors, as to not pass on bad genes like cystic fibrosis and/or fragile X syndrome. Plus, I am curious to know if I have any "wrong" genes. My maternal family has some cases of cancer, but all kids on both sides are pretty darn healthy.
More to tell later after my trip to New York* where the intentional parent's reproductive doctor will teach me how to do these things called Lupron shots (Lupron shots = a subcutaneous injection of a medication called Lupron. Taken once daily), and other types of hormonal level stuff. Lupron shots in my tummy are not my favorite thing to think about, but it's for a good cause.
On a side note, some people who have found out about my donation decision have been giving me a bad time about me being selfish by decreasing my chances for fertility... I would be lying to say that it hasn't affected me, but my heart is set on my decision. I have over 200,000 eggs that are going down the toilet once a month!! I can spare some for this family who is unable to bear children. Yes, I decrease my chances of fertility, because after donating I will only have 199,950 eggs or more left (insert sarcasm here). Some advice to those thinking about donating: I have chosen to not really tell anyone about my decision to donate... I advise you to do the same. It's personal anyways.







No comments: